August 09, 2006

Old Fashioned, New Fangled

I've always had a weakness for deviled eggs. Creamy, salty, a little bit spicy, and bite sized! Well, perhaps two bites if one is being excessively polite, or has unusually large eggs.

I don't make them that often, because it always seems that one should make them for a party platter, rather than as a late-night snack for two people to simply fall upon with hungry eyes and greedy fingers. Still, I often find myself too busy when I'm planning a party to fuss with the details that make a good deviled egg. So, sometimes I just have to make them anyway. The beauty of a deviled egg is that you can make as many or as few as you want. They are best consumed promptly, and one should be careful not to overcook the eggs, unless you enjoy the grey ring of doom around the yolk.

I would give you the recipe, if I had one. The problem is, I change it every single time I make it. Much depends on the contents of the fridge, you see. You can really taylor them to your tastes, though, whether your tastes run from caviar to Thai curry paste. This batch has green onion, parsley, ground mustard seed, mayonnaise, feta cheese, and is topped with aleppo pepper.

None survived the initial attack.

6 comments:

Randi said...

Deviled eggs are so popular around these parts. The first foodblog I did for Egullet was called Diversity and Deviled eggs.

Anonymous said...

They are one of my guilty pleasures too but no one else in the fam likes them. My husband won't eat eggs of any kind and my son....well, he's 12 and that should speak for itself.

Kate (cooknkate)

Anonymous said...

Simply Sensational . Dawna, I can taste these delicious eggs, right from here..

Dawna said...

Randi - it seems like everyone here likes them, but for some reason you don't see them that often. Perhaps it is merely the circles in which I travel...

Kate - no eggs! Oh dear. I hope you get to make them just for yourself every once in a while.

Lera - thank you!

Asmo - Oeufs Mimosa is such a pretty name - I didn't know it was the same dish, either! Thanks for coming by my blog.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE devilled eggs and was particularly keen on them when I was pregnant. So much so, in fact, that they were on the menu at my baby shower. A little smoked paprika over the top is good - a nod to the 70s as well...

Marquise xoxo

Dawna said...

I was devastated to miss that shower, Marquise. Your mom and sister planning a party? The food alone would have been reason enough to go! The menu sounded fab. Perhaps there should be a culinary re-enactment for the little Marquis' birthday?

I am also noting that grape-fest is approaching...