August 12, 2008

Gluten-Free Granola Bars

I'm taking advantage of the cooler weather today to make Pirate Granola, which I have already shown on this site, so I thought that I would share this picture that has been lurking around my hard drive, waiting for its chance.

After the success I had with the granola, I decided to take a whack at granola bars. Of course, I turned to trusty Alton Brown for help. His recipe on the Food Network website looked like a great place to start, so I did.

Making this dish gluten free was actually pretty easy, providing you can get "clean oats" which are certified gluten free. If not, you might want to try substituting quinoa flakes, but I haven't tried that yet. Alton's recipe called for wheat germ, for which I substituted besan, a gluten-free chickpea flour used in Indian cooking.

It made quite a lot of granola bars, actually. See the link above for the original recipe.

Granola Bars
Adapted from Alton Brown's recipe on Food Network

2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
½ cup raw pumpkin seeds
1 cup sliced almonds
½ cup chickpea flour(besan)
½ cup honey
1 tablet of palm sugar (approximately ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar)
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus extra for pan
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon kosher salt
6 ½ ounces (total) raisins and chopped dried apricots

Butter a 9 x 9-inch glass baking dish. Preheat the oven to 350° F.

Spread the oats, pumpkin seeds, almonds, and besan onto an edged baking sheet. Toast in the pre-heated oven for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Combine the honey, brown sugar, butter, extract and salt in a medium saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until the sugar has completely dissolved.

Once the oat mixture is toasted, remove it from the oven and reduce the heat to 300 degrees F. Immediately add the hot oat mixture to the liquid mixture, add the dried fruit, and stir to combine. Turn mixture out into the prepared baking dish and press down (firmly, but not insanely firmly) to distribute the mixture evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.

You may need to lever the entire thing out of the baking dish with a spatula in order to cut it, that’s okay. Cut into squares and wrap well in waxed paper. Store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a week, or freeze for a month.

5 comments:

kickpleat said...

so funny, i used alton's granola bar recipe so i could pack something homemade into our bike trip. sadly, mine crumbled and couldn't make it into bar form (probably because i'm so bad with measurements and added more dry stuff than called for). still delicious!

Anonymous said...

This is a really delicious recipe :). I just went on a gluten-free diet! I'll have to save this recipe.

We'd like to invite you to participate in our September apple and peach recipe contest (the recipe can be sweet or savory). All competitors will be eligible to win one of three prizes :)! Please email me, sophiekiblogger@gmail.com, if you're interested.


Thanks :),
Sophie
KI Chief Blogger

Beanie said...

That looks so good...the cafe that I volunteer at is trying to develop a new granola bar recipe, except all of our test ones keep falling apart - but yours looks great!

Dawna said...

Kickpleat and Katina, I wonder if one of the things that kept mine together is the use of besan (chickpea flour) instead of wheat flour? These stuck together like crazy, and were actually a challenge to cut at first (although they softened a little bit once wrapped).
I love the lacquered look of these - unintentional, but very photogenic, I think.

Sophie, I'm discovering an amazing world of gluten-free stuff out there. I'm not gluten free, but some of my friends are, and I enjoy exploring the challenges of adapting to allergies, preferences, and dietary requirements.

Dawna said...

These are also easy to make vegan: just use agave syrup instead of honey, and coconut oil for the butter.